ISNZ (formerly the Independent Schools Council) is the umbrella organisation for 46 independent/private schools of New Zealand.
After extensive consultation with Member Schools during 2018 and 2019 it was agreed there would be a change to the governance structure of the Independent Schools of New Zealand Charitable Trust (ISNZ). The restructure has resulted in ISNZ continuing as the single body representing the collective interests of Independent Schools in New Zealand, with a new constitution.
The following entities have been dissolved and removed from the Charities Register:
- the Independent Schools Association (ISA)
- the Association of the Heads of the Independent Schools (AHIS), and
- the Heads of Independent Schools Scholarship Trust (HISST).
The ISNZ Board:
- is elected by Boards, Principals, and Bursars of ISNZ Member Schools
- provides a forum for discussion and joint action by ISNZ Member Schools
- is committed to choice for parents in the education of their children
- believes that independent schooling provides a proven alternative
- represents 46 independent schools educating over 80% of students in the private schools sector
- was first established in 1992 as the Independent Schools Council (ISC).
Heather McRae, Diocesan School for Girls
Deputy Chair: Co-opted Member
Ingrid Taylor, Past Board Member: St Margaret’s College
Albert Brantley, St Margaret’s College
Richard Francis, Chilton Saint James School
Bruce Goodfellow, Saint Kentigern Trust Board
Barrie Keenan, Scots College
Christine Leighton, St Andrew’s College
There are currently two vacancies on the ISNZ Board
The Association of School Business Administrators Incorporated (ASBA) will continue on a modified basis to retain its ‘Chapter’ status with the Australian body, Association of School Bursars and Administrators Limited. ASBA NZ has adopted a new constitution. ASBA NZ will continue to have its own Executive:
Paul Chapman, President - King’s College
Nigel Wilkinson, Vice President - Kristin School
Robert Cross, Secretary - Wellesley College
Jonathan Beaglehole, Treasurer - Dilworth School
Jonathan Gravit, Member - Saint Kentigern Trust
Julie Walters, Member - Southwell School
Paul McDowell-Hook, Member - Diocesan School for Girls
Nicola Paoli, Member - King’s School