2021 Honours Awards
It is with great regret that, due to the COVID-19 lockdown, Minister of Education Chris Hipkins was unable to personally present the ISNZ Honours Awards 2021 to acknowledge and celebrate the people who work in and give tirelessly to our member schools.
These awards give recognition to staff – be they academic, support staff, boarding, sporting, property, administration roles and others – who stand out above and beyond what might reasonably be expected as part of their employment. A wide range of roles contribute to the success of independent schools, and these awards are inclusive of the diversity of positions held by staff.
Successful candidates demonstrate an outstanding commitment and dedication to their students, not necessarily in a classroom setting. They must have five years of service or more within an ISNZ member school and be a role model for students and their peers to enhance the values of independent schooling. They must also demonstrate service and a contribution to the wider community.
Please read about this year's recipients and their awards
Distinguished Service Award – 2021
ISNZ Honours Awards 2021 are proudly supported by:
2020 Honours Awards
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Honours Awards were cancelled.
2019 Honours Awards Recipients
The 2019 awards were presented to the successful recipients at the ISNZ Annual Conference, held on Friday 30 August 2019 at the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa in Wellington.
(l-r) 2019 Honours Awards recipients Wilj Dekkers, Julia McIntyre, David Evans, Susan Marriott, Deb Sharpe, Julie Hogg, Ann Walker, Janey Wackrow, Donald MacLean, Kerri Fitzgerald, Mike Kilgour, Lesley Bath, Lawrence Stephens and Sue van Dort; ISNZ Chair Heather McRae; Roger Franklin-Smith of Cambridge Assessment International Education; and Associate Minister of Education Hon Jenny Salesa
Read about the recipients and their awards
Previous Distinguished Service Award Recipients
- Exceptional Work and Contribution to Independent Schools of New Zealand (2016) – Lynda Reid – St Cuthbert's College
- Outstanding Service to Governance in Independent Education in New Zealand (2015) – Derek Firth – Dilworth School
- Outstanding Service to Independent Schools of New Zealand and its Member Schools (2015) – Deborah James – ISNZ
- Outstanding Leadership and Service to the Independent Schools Sector in New Zealand (2014) – Peter Clague – Kristin School
- Outstanding Leadership and Service to Education Governance (2013) – Peter Ferguson – ISNZ